My apologies for the lapse in posts. We had a several day power outage due to a power pole being sheered in half by a falling tree and the power lines laying in the driveway the whole time. It took days for them to come clean it up and I had to get both my local rep and congressperson involved before they did. We were at the bottom of the list and no one I talked to at the power company gave a flip about the wires on the driveway. It was a frustrating and disheartening experience… which is now over- HOORAY!
So… todays post is about a cute little coffee station made from sewing drawers and basketball court…. seriously.
I’ve got my favorite spot a few towns away. They’d recently(ish) moved to larger digs so I was anxious to get there and see what my friend David had lying around… I found a TON of great stuff. Today I will tell you about the sewing drawers I bought.
Then he said the magic words… “don’t forget to look outside”. Outside was the most fabulous piles of old basketball court wood I had ever seen- SOLID 3/4″ maple and waiting to be loved!
Happy Birthday to me, right?!
I added a few pieces to my GIGUNDO pile of finds and headed home.
I laid them out like a puzzle on the ground to figure out how I wanted it to look:
I trimmed them all to the same size (with my fab Ryobi sliding miter saw of course) and glued them together and attached them to the top. Then I had the decision on the sides. I chose veneer tape which is super easy to apply. You just cut it a bit longer than the side you want to apply it to, run a warm iron over it to heat up the glue and adhere it to the edge. When it’s dry and cool, trim and lightly sand.
Then there was the matter of the drawers. The sides and fronts had the slight tint of a design from long ago…
Just the act of cleaning them pretty much destroyed it. I wanted to preserve the idea though so pulled out a Muddaritaville stencil from my fab stash and used part of one…
I used a wipe-on polyurethane for the top because I needed the edging to yellow some to match the flooring. I used Shabby Paints Sheer VAX all over the bottom. I had to buy new handles unfortunately. I couldn’t find the rings for the two that were missing. The inside of the drawers were kind of a mess too. Easiest way to fix that was to line them with metal. I used Aluminum Flashing from Home Depot– Cut it to fit with a rotary tool with metal bit and secured with Gorilla Glue.
While waiting for everything to dry, I used some leftover court, and scraps of wood to make some decorative holders for some topiaries I had.
Once it was done, I took it up to the store:
All ready for a new home!
I hope you enjoyed my little coffee station makeover… Now I feel the desire for a cup of coffee… Hmmm….