Hey there! If you’ve been following along on Instagram you saw a photo I posted a few days ago of a sad and ancient dresser:
The drawers would pretty much fall completely in, it was super lose and just completely unloved…a sorry piece if I ever saw one. I gave it a good cleaning and had a look. One of the drawer supports on the bottom was basically just free-floating. The easiest way to fix it was a small nail. I just used brad nails and a tack hammer (you can see it in the above photo, it’s ANCIENT).
Obviously the drawers needed some support. Easiest way to do it was to just add a quick base. I grabbed some hardboard from Home Depot and my Ryobi saw and went to work. There are small boards along the back that were perfect for rear support (I just glued them there and then glued and brad nailed them in the front).
With that done, it looked like this:
and this is where I become super lame and stopped taking pictures… but let me explain. I took a poster I bought from Hobby Lobby ages ago and used a spray adhesive to attach it to the front drawers. Once it was dry, I used a razor knife to slice through the poster to separate each drawer. I used the drawer sides as guides. Then I lay the drawers face down and trimmed off the excess paper on the sides.
I painted the entire base and 4 knobs with Shabby Paints Licorice and used Black ReVAX to seal it. I painted the top “hat” and 2 knobs with Alamo white and used Sheer VAX. I used a spray sealer for the first coat and then a coat of VAX to seal the poster on the drawers.
I put it all back together and now it looks like this:
…and I will admit I am pretty proud of this one. It’s prettier than I even thought it would be. The drawers aren’t perfect, but hey, it’s old, no one is at this age.