I realize the rv remodel project is dragging out and I am so excited to get to showing you the finished product, that I am going to combine the last bits into one post (and try to make it quick) so the next post will be the finished pictures.
If you’ve just stumbled upon this blog, you can find the before photos here, the shiplap here, the tiling projects here, and the storage cabinet builds here. I loved the lightness and space created by painting everything white, but the huge blank space on the rotating television stand really bothered me. It was such a focal point for the whole space and it needed WOW factor. The rv owners were once big wine drinkers and I knew she had a stash of corks. I had her bring them over and went to work. I used another old piece of the 1/8″ luan I’d pulled out previously and cut it to fit in the space.
I used my Ryobi scroll saw to cut the corks in half length-wise. I’ve seen several ways to do this using pipes and other “jigs” but I just found that carefully holding them firmly worked best. I am certain there is a better way… I just didn’t find it in time.
I laid the all out to dry fit and make sure they worked out properly then they were glued on with clear construction adhesive.
Honestly, it’s a pretty spectacular sight.
My client needed a desk top for both their desks. When they ran across a fabulous and super interesting piece of PureBond at Home Depot, the husband’s was easy. I taught her how to take a bit of edge tape with some Shabby Paints ReVAX stain to declare it done.
Her desk top was a little more involved. My client wanted to use the same weathered wood boards as the faux drawer fronts to make her desktop. Since it would be touched a lot, the boards needed to be sanded well. She didn’t realize that sanding them would take the color away.
I taught her how to use different colors and concentrations of reVAX for stain to create the reclaimed wood look, then how to dry brush some bright red (Shabby Paints Betsy Ross Red) in for a pop of pizzazz.
Once the boards were done, I laid them out and attached everything together with a narrow trim band around the outside edge.
My client also wanted a coffee table. She had loved the look of these contemporary coffee tables. But what she was really looking for was a turned leg table and wasn’t able to find one in a budget she was comfortable with. She was able to find a turned leg side table though so we made do and just used the legs. (We both realized she forgot a before picture way too late to fix it, sorry)
First thing I did was cut the legs so they would be the correct height for the finished table.
Then I cut the apron pieces to make the dimensions match up. I used my Ryobi router and router table to make a decorative edge to the apron pieces. Was this necessary? Nope, but why not?
I screwed and glued everything together and had this:
Then I took some pallet boards and after cutting them to the right size, ran them through my Ridgid planer to smooth them out and show off the awesome wood species. I attached them to a long board underneath using clamps to hold everything tight and in place.
once finished, handed it off to my client to finish painting.
Last but not least, the doors. The flat hollow core doors got repurposed luan trim to make them look like 5 panel doors
and the back office door got a window. Yes, I put a window in a hollow core door.
Rv hollow core doors have a corrugated interior… that’s right, they’re cardboard inside. I looked at the door and with my client’s assistance, decided on a size for the window. Once I had that, I cut it out with my Dremel rotary tool.
Then I lined the window area with thin trim to allow support for the glass.
I added tiny trim on one side and glued and nailed it into place.
Adding cut luan trim gives the door some character
and layered paint added even more.
Once everything was dry, distressed and sealed, I used a bead of clear silicone caulk and carefully placed the glass into place. Adding more tiny trim on the other side locked the glass into place.
Once that was all dry and ready, I added window film on one side (pictures corrupted so I can’t share, frustrating) and used my Cricut to make a sign for the front.
My client also wanted a feature wall that brought more storage and showcased her family heirloom vintage ball jars. One she described her initial thoughts, I went back to my pallet stash and the Rigid planer. I planed the pallet boards out and found the studs on the feature wall. I attached 1x2s across the studs.
Once painted to match the wall color, they practically disappeared. Then I attached the pallet boards to the cross pieces.
She had laid out the general outline on the floor initially so I taking a picture made a great guide on placement.
Once it was all done, she wanted words, so I cut some on the Cricut and added those too.
I also made her some art for the wall. Two quick signs an M with the year they were married and the word “eat” for an accent. You’ll see them in the finished photos tomorrow.
Are you ready for the big reveal? I know I am. I am certain I have forgotten to tell you about something, so when you see the finished photos tomorrow, don’t hesitate to ask about things you see and want to know about.
I’m on my way to the Haven Conference in Atlanta this morning. I can’t wait to share everything I learn with you upon my return. If you toss out a question and I dont answer right away, please know I might be in the air, or in a class and I will answer as soon as I can.
Fingers crossed you love this build as much as I do!
(Ryobi and Ridgid have sent me some tools in exchange for sharing them with you. Others I have purchased on my own. As always, I am so grateful for their support and all opinions are my own.)