You may recall I have been working on remodeling an rv (links to all the associated posts are below). We left off with the couple who purchased it parking it here and immediately tearing everything out of it…. and I do mean EVERYthing. Once they gutted all but the master bed platform, I got to work. Susie (the wife of the team) was my assistant- it was quite nice to have a helper for a change.
This page includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase using the link, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
I’m currently collaborating with a group of bloggers to bring you a $2500 New Years giveaway. Enter to win on my 25 gifts for the DIYer on your List post. Entries open from 12/16/19 until 1/20/20 at 11:59 PM EST.
In the quest to get things lighter and brighter in there, rv shiplap was the name of the game. Since the slide out is the first thing you see when you walk in, it was the perfect place to use it. We cut down floor underlayment to 4 inches width and lightly sanded the edges.
Quick tip: using a “fine” blade on your table saw cuts down on the amount of sanding you have to do and keeps thinner boards from splintering.
Once they were all set, we headed back inside. Originally we thought we would keep the carpet in the slide out so we wanted to protect it… you’ll see later why that didn’t happen.
I really thought through attaching these, bumping down the road isn’t kind on things hanging on the wall. So construction adhesive is a best friend here and I used a Brad Nailer to tack it down in spots (NOTHING in an rv is square, plumb, level, or flush).
I decided starting at the top made the most sense. It’s the main focal point since the ceilings are low, and if there was some huge mistake in the wall or a weird tiny thin end cut, I could bury it in the trim at the bottom that you would probably never notice or see.
My Miter Saw made trimming these boards to size so easy.. and I can’t express how happy I am that I bought myself the saw stand. It was a lifesaver when dragging it out to be closer to the rv. Not having to walk back and forth saved a ton of time. (It has a great alternate use too… with the table saw, I can cut long boards alone and have them supported by just adjusting the end supports- I do love Ryobi Power Tools)
Cutting around the windows was tricky but I used a combination of a paper template and hand scribing the edges then using my Dremel Rotary Cutter to get the curves.
With the back wall being the focal point, it was easiest to finish that then move to the sides. It made it a bit more simple to line up the side pieces that way. Also ceiling is sloped on the sides… that was another “fun trick” to figure out.
When it was all done, it was very exciting!
Now all it needed was paint:
It took about three coats of paint but man, it made a HUGE difference in there! I don’t have photos of the finished space with nothing in it because painting was happening while we did other stuff.
Next we moved on to the kitchen…wait till you see that! (Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss a thing)
Please Share and Pin this Post!