We have a dear friend who is a producer for an National Association who was hired to shoot several segments for the DIY website. One of them was on How to make concrete countertops and how to seal them with something like Ghostshield 770. In the course of conversation he mentioned he didn’t have a location to shoot this. He couldn’t find anyone willing to do it. That man came to the right place! We’re up for anything around here… it couldn’t look SO bad, could it? Here is the link if you’re interested. Yes, that is my sweet husband doing all the work. It was a fun few days of a small camera crew invasion and we had a great time. In the end it looked like this: (I should add that we took the opportunity to put in a new cooktop too since the old one required a funky countertop cut and it was the perfect time to do it)
Not bad, right?
Fast forward to this year. It was time to do something about the paper bag (kraft paper) countertops. We hadn’t ever sealed them again since putting them in and the edges around the sink were needing attention. We never really got around to caulking around the sink either…. it didn’t look bad, it just would have lasted longer if we had. So my husband decided to sand it a bit an then reseal…. well, that didn’t really go so well so he got aggravated and ripped it all off. That looked horrible, lol. Rather than spend the time to get it all off and start over, my girlfriend recommend I call her friend who owns a Granite store. We have (if I remember correctly) 84 square feet of countertop. For those of you that may not understand- that is a RIDICULOUS amount of counter space and the reason my kitchen is always a mess. WAY too much flat space in there to just drop stuff, also not conducive to low cost on replacing them.
We lucked out. Not sure how, we just did. We managed to get a steal of a price (the bathroom guy even told me so when he still liked me) and were able to replace everything with Baltic Brown Granite. It’s pretty common which costs the cost AND when (not if) we have to replace something, it should be an easy match.
I liked that we came out an extra 12 inches or so on the end of the peninsula section of the counter. I plan on building a bookshelf under there one day when I can trust those bad babies not to tear everything off of it. :o)
The counters were installed while I was in Florida at a conference (lucky me!) and I came home to the cleanest kitchen I had ever seen. I had to lose my wonderful amazing black granite sink I loved so much. The cost of change I suppose… That was Jan of this year. Then in Feb, hubby and I spent a few days installing self stick stainless steel look subway tiles. Boy did that make a difference! Well the paint helped too.
I’ll try to post a good overall picture tomorrow morning as I am realizing neither of us it seems have taken one.
We took out the alarm box too. I’m sure we didn’t do it right. We just disconnected it and filled the hole with insulation and caulked the tiles on top. We didn’t use it, we’d turned it off long ago and aren’t in a high crime area so didn’t see the point. I;m honestly not sure if we ever turned it on even once since it was installed. I found it more annoying that anything. Every time the phone rang it had the most piercing tone I couldn’t turn off. Ick.
That’s pretty much it. I want to try a few more things. Maybe some mounding or caulk around the edges where the tiles meet the countertop and thinking about some of those faux rocks around the bottom of the island.. and of course that bookshelf… It’s kind of like life- always a work in progress.
Here are two photos in the daylight (and clean) sorry it took so long to post them.